Monday, November 23, 2015

Applying Classroom Rules and Procedures

Dealing with students in the classroom can be a tricky task for new and veteran teachers alike.  In our readings over the last couple of weeks we have learned about something called "withitness", which refers to the teachers ability to know and deal with potential turbulent situations in the classroom before they escalate into something more.  While this is great, what then, does a teacher do when the situation is already to the point well passed prevention.  Below is a process chart for how I employ decisions on action for non-compliance of classroom rules and expectations.  It should be noted that this has to be in line with our school's referral process, which is not incredibly rigid and allows for teacher judgement to be used whenever needed.

When students are on task and meeting the expectations of the classrooms, for me, it is important that they be celebrated, perhaps even more so than the students who are off task.  If you view my flowchart below you will see that I have three different scenarios when students are following the norms and directions of the classroom
  1. Consistently doing an exceptional job following classroom expectations:  I am not the kind of teacher to email home every single time a student does as they should.  If a student is consistently following classroom expectations, then I would certainly feel the need to do so.  I do, however, reserve the right to email home under special circumstance, like say a student who is normally way off task suddenly has a great day.
  2. Single (or smaller) instances of following classroom procedures:  This is for the one-a-day instances.  If I were to email home for this, then I would never get off my computer.  What I try and do is give instant positive feedback, like saying "good job" or patting the student on the back or even a simple smile.
  3. Give an IB Learner Profile Card:    This is really specific to my school, as we are an IB World School, so it might not make a lot of sense.  However, for exhibiting one or more of the IB Learner Profile Attributes, teachers at my school give out cards which a placed into a month raffle for a prize. This is an excellent way to acknowledge students without taking too much time.
Now, when students are off task, it is very much a hybrid of my own classroom management and policies for the school.  This 5-step process is of my own making and interestingly enough I have never made it to the 5th step in this since I came to this school and began using it.  Now that I really think about it, I can only recall a handful of times when I actually reached the 4th step, but I fully think that is more of a reflection on my own relationships that I build with students in the beginning of the year.  Once we've had the private conversation in step 3, the problems stop. Granted, if a student is consistently reaching step 3 of the chart over the course of several classes, then I do email home.

For the first couple of steps in the no portion of the flowchart, it is important that one not assume that the student chose not to listen to the expectations.  Perhaps he could hear or even couldn't understand. Maybe there are others like him/her, and therefore, it would be a good idea to reiterate the expectations to the entire class.  If the student again is not following along with the expectations, maybe he/she needs a more clearer explanation or some questions answered.  With that idea in mind a one-on-one explanation and opportunity for Q&A might be in order.  

However, when we have reached step 3, there is clearly, to me, a non-compliance issue with the student and a need for a private conversation.  Since I teach high school, having a time-out chair or place might not be useful.  What I usually ask them to do is to go to the chair next to my desk and reflect on why they are off task (this is often done in a soft conversation near the student so that I do not embarrass them).  After a minute or two I will then signal for the student to meet me outside where we will discuss the expectations, why he is not meeting them and discuss ways that he can.  I usually ask him/her at that point if I need to contact home (the answer is usually no).  

As I have mentioned above, I have rarely gotten to step 4.  Usually things are fine after step 3.  I have never gotten to step 5.  I see my role as a teacher to be a holistic educator, which includes teaching them how to handle all situations myself and with grace and humility.


Process Chart for Decision on Action for Non-Complaiance




No comments:

Post a Comment